Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Bolster pillow cover

The covers of my two bolster pillows had to be retired long back. The only reason I hung on to them was because I wanted to stitch my own covers rather than get ready made ones. Finally I get enough time to stitch the covers and here I have two brand new covers which give a new life to my pillows.

These were the simplest that I could come up as they were the first ones I was trying out. With the minimum material required the pillows have transformed from old and faded to bright and colourful. If you want to make it this is how you go about it. The measurements as per my pillow size which was 27 inches round and 32 inches long. You may need to alter it as per your pillow size.

You need:
Printed fabric – 20X30 inches
Plain fabric – 7.5X30 inches (2  pieces)
Matching thread
Laces – 40 inches approximately (2 pieces)

Make it:
Align the 30 inch edges of the plain fabric and printed fabric with wrong sides together. Both plain fabrics should be aligned on both ends as these will form the sides of the cover. Pin them in place. Leaving less than a  ½ inch space stitch both the sides. This is an optional step that I did to give the cover the clean look from the inside.

Turn the fabric over to get the right sides together. Press along the stitch to make a firm mark and fold.

Leave ½ inch of space and stich keeping right sides together.  If you do not want to go into so many steps you can simple place the right sides together in the first step itself and stitch leaving half and inch space.
Now fold along the four corners lengthwise. The fold should be just about a little over half a centimetre. Run a stitch along all these folds.

Make a slot along the open end of the plain  fabric to allow the lace to go through. To do this fold half a centimetre of the material and once again fold over keeping  just about an inch. To make stitching this part easy it would be a good idea to press all along.
Stitch on both sides.

All that remains is to give the cover its basic shape. Join the two length sides of fabric. Once again to give it a clean finish on the inside stitch along the length with wrong sides together. 

Turn the cover inside out to get the wrong side toward you. Press along the stitch and keeping a space of around an inch. Turn right side out.
Insert the lace into the slots and pull the cover over the bolsters. 

There you have a new looking boster.


Monday, 21 January 2013

Wide Open Pouch

As the name goes, this pouch has a rather large mouth. Unlike other pouches it gives a clear view of its contents doing away with situations of rummaging through stuff. The other difference is that it gives a wide base to enable it to stand erect.

Can prove to be an ideal cosmetic bag or a handy bag for carrying baby's needs.

Had seen this design on a website and was wanting to try it out since a long time. The little bit of this fabric that was left turned out to be the perfect size for it.

I am pretty satisfied with the result but will surely make some more and get a better finish.

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Drawstring Bag

This was something completely new that I was trying out. Had been on my mind for quite some time but finally gave it a shot today and I am not disappointed. It surely could have been better but for a first time attempt it turned out pretty fine.

Will be trying out an additional one soon but for now this one is acceptable to Aseem though he would have preferred a denim bag.

The following little one was for the neighbor's son for his third birthday. It was a fairly small one measuring 11" X 10". The prize was the fact that he had it on his back throughout the party.

Drawstring bag 
Birthday gift for a three year old

Monday, 7 January 2013

Cushion Cover

Between all the article writing and storyboarding it is always fun to take some time to create something. This one cushion of mine was screaming for a cover and I just could not ignore it. So here it is with its brand new cover made all by myself for my cushion and to add a splash of color to my couch.

It is simple and easy to do it. I did go a bit wrong with the zipper as I was trying out this different way to attach it. But in the end it turned out to be pretty fine.

I have also tried to keep the inside stitches clean by first stitching the three closed sides right-way out. Next I pulled the inside out and ran a stitch all along the three sides with right sides in. This way the inside stitches do not show the rugged edges and besides it also adds strength to the stitch.

I will soon come up with a tutorial for this as I find a DIY cushion cover to be far more better than a store bought one.